May 18, 2022
- Job Title: Design Director
- Reports To: Co-Heads, Trew Knowledge
- Type: Full-Time
- Location: Toronto, ON (currently remote)
- Starts: ASAP
- Salary: Competitive based on experience
Trew Knowledge is a fast-paced and rapidly growing digital marketing agency focused on delivering world-class, innovative solutions for some of the world’s largest Brands. We specialize in WordPress, digital strategy, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI) design and SAP Customer Data Cloud (CDC) Identity Management Solutions.
The Design Director oversees the design and branding of client projects, provides direction to design and development teams, and supervises the end-to-end delivery of client projects. The role works in close collaboration with executive leaders, clients, the designers, and the project management office to conceptualize design solutions, develop creative ideas based on specific client needs, and monitor status of client projects. Additionally, the Design Director creates information architectures, user flows, storyboards and mock-ups for clients and the design teams to demonstrate how the finished project may look.
- Develop design ideas in close partnership with the development/design teams based on client business requirements and specifications
- Develop information architecture documentation, user flow diagrams, and sitemaps for projects
- Work in partnership with executive leaders and the senior management team to establish the business strategy, budgets, and schedules for key design projects
- Develop design concepts, creative material, storyboards and mock-ups to convey to clients the overall interactive design vision
- Choose the specific design elements for various projects, and determine if text or additional elements should be included in designs
- Mentor and provide direction to design teams and developers while challenging and introducing new and innovative methods of creative design and delivery
- Motivate and influence design team to constantly strive for excellence in performance, assign creative leads, and monitor projects to ensure they are moving forward on schedule and within budget
- Meet with clients to determine what they want from their projects and what specific design elements they may wish to incorporate
- Review feedback from clients, then design or alter projects to fit the client’s vision, brand, and business needs
- Conduct research and analyze market research, customer reviews, and other material to create more effective designs
- Collaborate with sales and marketing team to ensure design projects are in alignment with business performance expectations and sales strategies
- Lead and direct work intake and overall design project assignment process to ensure timely delivery of designs
- Work in close collaboration with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to discuss client projects, team priorities and progress against objectives and goals
- Regular contact and collaboration with internal development team, external design team, and project management teams to ensure client projects are delivered as per design solutions
Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, graphic design, marketing and advertising or related field with relevant years of experience as a Design or Creative Director, preferably in an agency environment.
- Ability to develop brilliant creative ideas and employ strategic thinking to recommend strong design concepts and solutions
- Solid understanding of digital media as well as the marketing industry at large and a desire to adapt to the changing landscape of technology
- Experience with cross-platform design (web, tablet, mobile), wireframes, interactive prototypes and visual design concepts
- Strong leadership and an ability to inspire colleagues in creating differentiating, pioneering ideas that result in world-class solutions
- Ability to work independently, manage and prioritize workload, balance simultaneous deadlines, while ensuring quality of work is maintained
- Excellent communication skills to clearly explain design projects and the elements needed to create the design solution
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills to analyze data and determine how to incorporate findings into design projects
- The role operates within a dynamic office environment. On occasion, there may be a requirement to work beyond normal working hours in order to meet project deadlines and/or client deliverables.